Warm Audio WA-87 Condensor Mic. Limited Edition Black Finsih
The classic ‘87 is arguably the most widely-used large diaphragm condenser microphone in pop recording history. Rather than base our WA-87 circuit on current incarnations of this mic, we decided to closely follow the early circuit designs that date back nearly half a century. As is true with many classic microphones, engineers who have worked with different versions of these microphones often prefer the warmer, more forgiving nature of the earlier commercially available models. The desire to re-introduce the warm tone of this classic mic at an affordable price to an all new generation of recording artists was the inspiration behind the WA-87.
The WA-87 features all discrete, premium components such as Fairchild FETs, tantalum, polystyrene, and WIMA film capacitors, and is rounded off with a Cinemag USA output transformer. The WA-87 proudly uses our own Lens Kondensator custom reproduction of the classic K-87 dual backplate/dual diaphragm capsule, as found in early ‘87 mics.
The importance of a good microphone cannot be overstated; but unfortunately, finding a truly great microphone within a budget has always been a challenge for aspiring engineers. There are very usable microphones available for those on a budget; but top shelf, classic studio microphones have simply been out of reach for most people. We applied all that we know about bridging this barrier into crafting a microphone that reaches the level of quality and sonics mostly found only in top shelf products, yet sells for a price that is down to earth.
* Microphone Type: large condenser studio microphone.
* Based on the classic “87-style” circuit.
* Microphone includes shock mount, hard mount and wood box.
* Polar Patterns: Cardioid, figure of eight, and omnidirectional.
* Capsule: Lens Kondensator LK-87-B-50V reproduction of classic dual backplate (four wire termination) K87 capsule.
* Diaphragm: 6 micron thickness, 1 inch diameter, gold sputtered membrane, NOS Japanese mylar (PET film).
* Output Transformer: CineMag USA.
* Frequency Response: 20hz - 20khz.
* SPL: .5% THD @ 125db (without pad),132db (with pad).
* Pad: -10db.
* Output: 150 ohms, 24k gold plated, 3 pin XLR (pin 1 = gnd, pin 2 = +, pin 3 = -), transformer coupled via Cinemag USA output transformer.
* High Pass Filter: 80hz.
* Noise: -117db.
* Color: nickel (painted).